Violating Truck Regulations Can Have Tragic Results
Large, over-the-road trucks are subject to special safety regulations under Nebraska and federal law. These regulations were developed over time in response to numerous accidents that have resulted in injuries and deaths to people in passenger vehicles.
At Friedman Law Offices in Lincoln, Nebraska, our lawyers represent victims of car-truck collisions. If you were injured or a loved one was killed due to a willful violation of truck safety regulations, our lawyers will make every effort to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Examples Of Truck Safety Regulations
Truck safety regulations apply to everything from background checks on truck drivers to truck maintenance to how loads are secured. Here are examples of safety regulations that apply to commercial carriers:
- Trucking companies are required to hire qualified drivers and to conduct periodic drug tests of drivers.
- Truck drivers are required to keep a safe driving record to maintain their commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Truck drivers are required to take periodic rest breaks to prevent accidents caused by fatigue. Generally, drivers are required to rest 10 hours after driving a maximum of 11 hours.
- Truck drivers are required to maintain driver logbooks to prove that they took required rest breaks.
- Weight restrictions vary according to the road. Trucks with overweight cargo can damage roads and require greater stopping distances.
- Trucking companies are required to perform regular maintenance of safety equipment and maintain logs to document the checks.
- Commercial trucking companies are required to maintain adequate liability insurance, usually in excess of $1 million.
Prompt investigation is essential in truck accident cases because evidence such as driver logbooks can easily be lost or destroyed.
Free Consultation With An Outstanding Attorney
To arrange a free consultation with a lawyer at our firm, call 888-419-6876 or fill out the contact form on this website. While our law office is in Lincoln, we represent truck accident victims throughout Nebraska.