Violating Truck Regulations Can Have Tragic Results
Large, over-the-road trucks are subject to special safety regulations under Nebraska and federal law. These regulations were developed over time in response to numerous accidents that have resulted in injuries and deaths to people in passenger vehicles.
At Friedman Law Offices, P.C., L.L.O. in Lincoln, Nebraska, our lawyers represent the victims of car-truck collisions. If you were injured, or if a loved one was killed due to a willful violation of truck safety regulations, our lawyers will make every effort to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Examples of Truck Safety Regulations
Truck safety regulations apply to everything from background checks on truck drivers, to truck maintenance, to how loads are secured. Here are some examples of safety regulations that apply to commercial carriers:
- Trucking companies are required to hire qualified drivers and to conduct periodic drug tests of drivers.
- Truck drivers are required to keep a safe driving record in order to maintain their commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Truck drivers are required to take periodic rest breaks to prevent accidents caused by fatigue. Generally, drivers are required to rest 10 hours after driving a maximum of 11 hours.
- Truck drivers are required to maintain a driver logbooks to prove that they took required rest breaks.
- Weight restrictions can vary according to the road. Trucks with overweight cargo can damage roads and require greater stopping distances.
- Trucking companies are required to perform regular maintenance of safety equipment and maintain logs to document the check-ups.
- Commercial trucking companies are required to maintain adequate liability insurance - usually in excess of $1 million dollars.
Prompt investigation is essential in truck accident cases because evidence such as driver logbooks can easily be lost or destroyed.
Free Attorney Consultation
To arrange a free consultation with a lawyer at our firm, call o 888-419-687 6r fill out the contact form on this Web site. While our law office is in Lincoln, we represent truck accident victims throughout Nebraska.